Family devotions and personal worship are great spiritual disciplines to embrace in this Advent season and continue year-round.
- Gather with those in your home to set apart a daily time together (15 minutes or more is fine…right after a meal is ideal).
- Have someone read the passage for that day.
- Discuss what it means in light of Jesus. What does it say about Him or His coming?
- Pray in response to the passage. Thank God for fulfilled prophecies, answered prayers, renewed hopes, etc. Ask the Holy Spirit to keep your hearts focused on His Word.
- Sing a hymn or carol of the season.
Week One – The Prophets (Hope)
Isaiah 9:2, 6-7
2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone.
6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
Suggested hymns: Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, Silent Night, The First Noel
Leave a Reply