Family devotions and personal worship are great spiritual disciplines to embrace in this Advent season and continue year-round.
- Gather with those in your home to set apart a daily time together (15 minutes or more is fine…right after a meal is ideal).
- Have someone read the passage for that day.
- Discuss what it means in light of Jesus. What does it say about Him or His coming?
- Pray in response to the passage. Thank God for fulfilled prophecies, answered prayers, renewed hopes, etc. Ask the Holy Spirit to keep your hearts focused on His Word.
- Sing a hymn or carol of the season.
Week One – The Prophets (Hope)
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1 I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord!” 2 Our feet have been standing within your gates, O Jerusalem! 3 Jerusalem—built as a city that is bound firmly together, 4 to which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, as was decreed for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the Lord. 5 There thrones for judgment were set, the thrones of the house of David. 6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! “May they be secure who love you! 7 Peace be within your walls and security within your towers!” 8 For my brothers and companions’ sake I will say, “Peace be within you!” 9 For the sake of the house of the Lord our God, I will seek your good.
Suggested hymns: Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, Silent Night, The First Noel