Family devotions and personal worship are great spiritual disciplines to embrace in this Advent season and continue year-round.
- Gather with those in your home to set apart a daily time together (15 minutes or more is fine…right after a meal is ideal).
- Have someone read the passage for that day.
- Discuss what it means in light of Jesus. What does it say about Him or His coming?
- Pray in response to the passage. Thank God for fulfilled prophecies, answered prayers, renewed hopes, etc. Ask the Holy Spirit to keep your hearts focused on His Word.
- Sing a hymn or carol of the season.
Week 1 – The Prophets (Hope)
It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be lifted up above the hills; and all the nations shall flow to it, and many peoples shall come, and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.” For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore. O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the Lord.
We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain
Suggested hymns: Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, Silent Night, The First Noel